Sunday, February 28, 2016

30 Minutes. 30 Days. Day 5,6,7


Day 5,6,7

I'm discovering I'm not nearly as disciplined as I should be. It's only week 1 and I've fallen off the bandwagon of my own self-imposed schedule a couple of times. Tonight I was even questioning why I even added this challenge to my already busy schedule. Other people just watch TV or read or book or go for a jog. I've decided to try to write a feature script in 30 days with only 30 minutes a day. What was I thinking?

What has been rumbling around in my head is the need for a plot. I seem to start with art direction. The whole thing could just be various quirky art directed scenes with no dialogue or any plot and that would satisfy me. But wouldn't really cut it for most audiences.
I have this idea to incorporate famous Chicago innovations or points in history into the script. Luckily there are a bunch of terrific stories to draw from.

I've decided to make my lead character (who I'm calling Joyce) a woman in her late 50's who was part of The Second City Improv Troup - but did not go on to any fame whatsoever. She now makes a living doing improvised tours acting out scenes of history with her 24 year old actor colleague Brady. Then there is Al, the graffiti artist, who is leaving his own visual commentary of the art and history of Chicago. He may or may not be Banksy. And then, the non-English speaking recent immigrant parking lot attendant who is trying so hard to learn English with only a well used Tour Guide Book of Chicago as his source. Of course all of these characters cross paths and at some critical point are going to solve a major problem (hint - a repeat of the Great Chicago Fire perhaps).

Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment